Sunday, September 8, 2013

Plums, Pancakes and Pizza Recipes (No, Not All Together)

If you have been following my (currently non-existent) WIAW posts over the past few months, you would have noticed that I have been keeping it pretty basic with minimal changes week to week. While I usually love mixing it up, because the summer was so busy, I just didn’t have time to think about it and kept it simple by doing what I already knew. From week to week I knew what I needed to buy, how to prep it and what all the macro (fats, carbs and protein) counts would be. It didn’t require much thinking which is how I needed it to be.

But finally (finally!!) things are slowing down a bit and I was inspired to try something new in the kitchen. This week it resulted in two really yummy recipes J Both provide a good balance between protein and carbs, and both can be modified to fit different macros, tastes and preferences. One is sweet and one is more savoury. Enjoy!

Plum and Zucchini Protein Pancake with Vanilla Icing

This recipe is a small twist in my basic Cinnamon Zucchini Protein Pancake. My parents have a plum tree in their backyard. It grows those delicious sweet and sour prune plums. At this time of year, my mom often makes a plum cake, which I love, so I wanted to find a way to recreate those flavours in a cleaner cake. The answer was a plum pancake J

Ingredients (for 1 large pancake):
Pancake:
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 20g vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
  • ¼ cup egg whites
  • 40g (about ¼ cup) shredded zucchini
  • 60g (about 2) soft prune plums
  • 5g walnut pieces
Icing:
  • 2 TBSP fat free Greek yogurt
  • 1 TBSP vanilla protein powder

Directions:
  1. Pit and chop up plums. Pre-heat and spray small frying pan. Add plums and sauté on low heat until soft and slightly caramelized.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the oats, protein powder and cinnamon together.
  3. Add in egg whites. Mix well. Add in zucchini, plum and walnuts.
  4. Pour into the pre-heated, (re)sprayed frying pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, flip, and cook other side for 2 minutes (or until done).
  5. To make the icing, stir together yogurt and protein powder.
  6. Ice the protein pancake with the icing and serve warm.
 
 
 

I also topped mine with some chia prune jam. It turned out exactly as I expected. The pieces of plum in the cake really tart it up, which goes well with the sweet yogurt icing. I’m thinking of tripling this recipe and trying it out in a loaf pan to see how it slices up. A perfect portable, pre-portioned and prepped high protein and carb snack! It could even be used as a pre- or quick post-gym meal.

 

Quinoa Pizza Bites/ Casserole

This recipe started out as a way to satisfy a pizza craving (while meeting my carb and protein counts for the day). While sometimes nothing but a slice will do, other times, it’s really just the flavors I want. This recipe was a way to combine those flavors (tomato sauce, cheese, garlic and oregano) in an easy to prepare and package way for one of my meals during the week.

Ingredients (for 6 servings):
  • 180g (1 cup) uncooked quinoa
  • 300g spinach
  • 6 TBSP tomato paste
  • 1 ½ cup egg whites
  • 125g (about ½ cup) dry cottage cheese curds
  • garlic powder, oregano and black pepper (to taste)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Cook quinoa according to package directions. When in doubt, I follow these instructions for quinoa.
  3. Wilt spinach in a pan and set aside.
  4. In a bowl, mix the egg whites, tomato paste and seasoning together.
  5. Add in cottage cheese, cooked quinoa and spinach. Mix well.
  6. Drop mixture into sprayed muffin tins or pour into sprayed 9X9 pan.
  7. If making muffins, bake for 20-25. If baking in a pan, bake, covered, for about 20-25, then remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes.
  8. Let cool and individually portion and package for an easy grab-and-go protein and carb filled meal.

 
This recipe turned out great! My first batch, made into muffins, were a little under seasoned, so I made sure to add more into my second batch, which I baked in a pan. This was delicious and very satisfying as a morning snack throughout the week. Depending on macros and personal tastes and preferences, parmesan cheese can be added to the mixture or melted on top for more flavor. Other “toppings” (like peppers and onions) can also be added into the mixture for different flavors and textures. The variations are endless! I might try a “Greek” inspired mix next time with feta and fresh dill!

And finally, even though I didn’t create this recipe, I had to share! I recently tried this protein and chocolate chip cookie dough brownie and almost died. It was amazing!! It uses a Quest bar, which I have heard a lot about, but haven’t tried out that much. This was a delicious way to eat it though! Mmmm.

XOXO
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment